We spent last two days in Moscow mostly shopping and spending our time inside the Kremlin. We also went for a stroll at the Arbatskaya street. Moscow was a great experience. I think we would have been able to explore more if it were not this cold. Only one of the days we got a glimpse of the sun and honestly, it felt like the best thing ever. 😛
Must do things :
- A visit to the Red Square
- Tsum and Gum Malls for some serious luxury shopping.
- Take a stroll at Arbatskaya Street
- St. Basil’s Cathedral – looks like a little wonderland. (located on Red Square itself)
- The State Tretyakov Gallery
- Tsarytsino Open-Air History and Architectural Museum
- The Armoury ( inside the Kremlin)
- Moscow Metro – a real good experience.
- Bolshoi Theatre – book tickets for it beforehand.
- Gorky Park
- Have coffee at Coffee & Company
- You might pick up some of the most gorgeous coats in Moscow.
How to Plan : There is a direct Aeroflot flight from India to Moscow. You have to get your visa done beforehand. Russia’s currency is Rouble. Rouble is pretty much at par with our Indian rupee but be ready for shockingly high prices for everything in Russia. If you are thinking of bringing USD here, forget it. Most of the restaurants only take Roubles, so do change your currency before coming. If you have already brought Euro or USD along change them at the currency exchange counters in the mall or on the street; don’t change at the airport or at your hotels because you would get a bad exchange rate.
If you are planning a winter travel really pack a bunch of thermals, caps, scarves, coats etc. You could always pack a puffer jacket and travel light. It is a life saver. I somehow can’t bring myself to wear it yet. So I layer on. This time around especially I picked up woollen coats so they have been extremely great.
Food is not a major issue in Moscow even if you are a vegetarian. However, language could be a big issue. So learn some basic russian words if you can. 🙂
We are in St Petersburg right now and would be spending our New Year here. There is a thick snow packed on my balcony. Can’t wait to see how the morning starts here. It’s -11 degrees at night right now. 😀
Thank you for all the lovely comments on the posts. You guys really make our travels extra special. Mwwwaahhh!!
Some stunning views of the evening that Sanjeev captured inside the Kremlin.
Coat : Bought from Moscow
Shoes : Acne Studios
Scarf, hat : Zara
Sunglasses : Rayban
Bag : YSL